Friday, May 11, 2012

A Wonderful Week of Learning

We have had a wonderful week of learning.  Mazal Tov to Gan Aleph who celebrated their milestone on Friday morning.  A special thank you to the board of directors and parents who provided such a beautiful and delicious lunch for our teachers and staff members on Tuesday.  It really was fantastic!

We thought we would share with you a beautiful story, just one of many, from this past week at KSA.  This story comes to us from Michelle Kwitkin-Close, one of our outstanding middle school Judaics teachers.
I'm doing hasheivat ha-aveidah, the laws of returning lost property, in 7th grade Rabbinics and a student came up to me after class last week and said he found $3 on the back table in the classroom. I was sure he was making it up as a test case for what the mishnah says but he assured me that it was real. So we agreed to stash the money underneath a box in the back of the classroom and see if anyone came looking for it. (since the mishnah says that money without any identifiable marks does not need to be "proclaimed.") 
I promptly forgot all about it until this afternoon, after class, the kid reported back to me that the money was still safe in its hiding place. I told him that according to the mishnah's rule, he got to keep it. He smiled and pocketed the cash. 
Then, 5 minutes later, he caught up to me on my way to the photocopying machine, and said that he'd changed his mind.  "You take it, Ms. Kwitkin-Close. Give it to the school -- I'm sure they could use the money for something." 
I came back with a counter-proposal. I asked the student if he'd be willing to go into a lower school classroom to talk to the kids about "lost and found" from a Jewish perspective, to share his story, and to contribute the $3 to their classroom tzedakah box. He was happy with this idea -- and so was Morah Miriam, when I asked her if she'd like Ross Shore, this wonderful middle school student, to come into her class to talk to her kids.
Thank you to all of the parents that stepped into our office to share their support, concern, questions and ideas. Please continue to do so so that our relationships with you can grow and strengthen. And, of course, a special thank you to our teachers who, together with us, are dreaming about the future of our school.  These are exciting times for us; innovation, creativity and spirituality are all coming together in our classrooms and our community!

Shabbat Shalom.

1 comment:

  1. Jane Taubenfeld CohenMay 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

    This story warmed my heart as I am preparing for Shabbat. This is incredible application of teaching and learning mixed with a fabulous young man.

    ReplyDelete